!Let's Talk! Button

Let’s Talk!
Let’s Talk! 812-952-3643

Your Home’s Most Dangerous Areas for Pets

January 15, 2016
All things considered, pets are far safer in the confines of your home than they are outdoors. With that being said, there are many areas that can prove dangerous inside! Learn more below from your vet in Georgetown, IN.

The Kitchen

Any typical kitchen contains various foods that are harmful to pets. The list includes avocado, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, chives, salt, caffeine, chocolate, candy, fatty foods, and much more. Alcohol is another major danger; it affects pets just like it affects us, except that it only takes small amounts to induce poisoning. Keep all harmful foods far out of your pet’s grasp by storing them properly in the refrigerator or cabinets.

Supply Closets

Your supply closet is full of harmful chemicals that pets shouldn’t ingest, including bleach, ammonia, household cleaners, polishes, and even air fresheners. Keep your supply closet closed when you’re not using the products inside, and place the most harmful chemicals on a high shelf where pets aren’t likely to reach.

Medicine Cabinets

Did you know that many human medicines—aspirin, cough syrup, antidepressants, prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs, and more—can prove harmful if a pet ingests them? Never leave medication out on countertops or tables where pets may be able to reach them; after all, a determined pet may be able to chew right through a child-proof plastic cap. Also take care not to mix up your own medications and those of your pet, as this could prove extremely dangerous. Keep the two in separate cabinets if necessary.

The Laundry Room

Some pets—especially our feline friends—may enjoy getting into open laundry units to bed down on warm clothing. If the unit were to be closed and started with the pet still inside, disaster will ensue! Don’t leave washers or dryers hanging open, and always check inside before starting a load of laundry.


Windowsills aren’t very dangerous in the wintertime, when it’s too cold to open the windows, but keep this in mind for the summer: open windows present a falling hazard, especially for pets who lounge on the sill. In fact, veterinarians have a name for injuries sustained from falls: high-rise syndrome. Check all your windows before it gets warmer to make sure they have sturdy screens. Would you like more advice on keeping your pet safe in your home? Call your Georgetown, IN veterinarian’s office today to speak with an animal-care professional.

[am_post_grid posts_per_page=”4″ paginate=”yes”]